Monday, May 7, 2012

What happens if the cooler on the video card stops working?

I have a GeForce FX5200 128 Mb with a cooler... and.. probably because of the dust { :"> }, the cooler isn't working quite well... and maybe even stops from time to time... and.. my question: could it burn out? because i've installed some games on my PC and they're telling me that they cannot start because of the bad video card driver... so i went to NVIDIA website to get a new one but i couldn't install it because of "the absence of the needed video card"...

should i start thinking about throwing it out the window?... :-S|||A dead cooler can definitely fry a video card, those thing get really hot.



I would think if you can get into windows your card is probably ok, but it may not be supported anymore, if you want to play any really good games, I would suggest getting a better card anyway.|||TALK TO NVIDIA'S SUPPORT (TRY FINDING THE TOLL FREE NUMBER) THEY SHOULD HELP BUT IF I WERE U I'D JUST TRY TO CLEAN OFF THE DUST......AND U SAID ABOUT BURING OUT WELL I GUESS IT MIGHT BECAUSE WHY WOULD THEY PUT IT THERE....WELL LIKE I SAID THE BEST IS TO GIVE THEM A CALL OR IF YOU CANT I SUGGEST YOU CALL COMPUSA AND ASK FOR THERE TECH.|||Your card may be fried. I've lost a couple that way. Both Radeons though.



My solution was to get regular case fans and mount them beneath the video card so they blow air up to the card where the small card fan is. This way if the small fan fails, there is still enough air circulation to keep the card running cool.



And those little fans are hard to find for replacement sometimes.



But, first make sure you are trying to install the proper drivers for your specific card. If you have checked this and still they will not install, then probably something is burnt on the card.|||Is your card an Nvidia card or one of those knockoffs that use Nvidia chipsets like sapphire or chaintech They have drivers for them on their website. As far as the fan they are pretty generic and can be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment