Monday, April 23, 2012

I believe my Sony Vaio PCV-RS630G has an onboard video card. How do I disable it?

Let me be more specific. My computer has two ports. One is an AGP video card port and the other is a secondary port that allows a television to be connected to the computer. I'm pretty sure that port means I have an onboard video card.



When I replaced the AGP card with a new AGP graphics card, my computer did not recognize it at all and the computer monitor did not even turn on (but it had power). I read that this may be solved by disabling the onboard video card but I have no idea how to do it. I do not see an option for doing that in my bios...



I have ruled out a lot of things already. I am really stumped and would really appreciate any help I could get.



Thank you very much in advance|||Have you checked to see if the AGP card you tried to put in matches the voltage of the motherboard?

Are you sure it's AGP and not PCI-E?

Are you sure the card you tried to put in actually works?|||If you have XP or Vista, go into device manager, click on drives and in the drop down menu uncheck the on board video. Reboot and your computer should find your video card. Failing that, after disabling your onboard video, use the installation CD that came with the card.

If you can do it this way it avoids messing with the BIOS, always a tricky thing to do.|||In your BIOS setup program, set the AGP port as the primary display. Save the settings and shut down your computer.

Now connect your monitor to the AGP video card and turn on the computer. Now your monitor should start and show the POST.

Enter again the BIOS setup program and disable or reduce to zero the amount of the shared RAM to make it available to the system, as your VGA card already has it's own RAM built in. Save again the settings and restart your computer. Now all should work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment