Friday, April 27, 2012

Power supply/video card questions with my Dell XPS Gen 5?

I currently have a ATI 256mb X850 platinum video card. I have 4gb of DDR SDRAM, dual pentium 830 (3.0GHz) (this is better than a pentium 4 right?). Anyways, my ATI card conflicts with a few things so I need to replace it with a Nvidia card. I'm trying to figure out a few things and need some help.



I haven't been able to find out my pc's power supply. I've spoken to 3 different dell reps and they don't know. I looked inside the pc and everywhere else and I just can't find any stickers or anything. Is there any software that can find this out for me?



Also, my gen 5 can only have 460 or 650 power supply. So, if I have a 460 could I just replace it with the 650? I didn't see any way to get into the power supply. Anyone know where I can buy this power supply?



Also, I have a three 5 pin connector PCI fan that seems to be on the fritz. It's held in place by some Dell plastic piece. Would I need to buy the exact same one or do I have any choices?|||Dell uses proprietary hardware.



Hence you probably can't just buy any PSU and connect it to your XPS. I'll bet the pin layout is even different.



Your option is to upgrade to Dell's 650 Watt PSU.



For the fans , as long as you get the right size you can probably replace those easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment